Meet the Trainer:
Ginny Thompson’s dog training journey began in 2002 with a Border Collie puppy named Oz who she trained in obedience, agility, and herding as well as humane goose removal services. In addition to their sweet Oz, Ginny and her family have said goodbye to their second Border Collie, Pele. More recently, they have happily welcomed their rescued Golden Retriever, Neko, and Border Collie, Lux, into their lives once daughters Luci and Penelope were old enough to interact safely with canine family members.
Professionally, Ginny has had a wide variety of experience. These include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Zoology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Certified dog trainer through the Pet Professional Accreditation Board (PCT-A)
- Instructor at Mad City Dog Training for five years
- Employed at Dane County Humane Society for 12 years:
- Adoption Specialist
- Canine Behavior Team
- Helped to create and teach the “Second Chances” program where prisoners trained rescue dogs using positive reinforcement as part of their rehabilitation
- Helped to create and teach “Positively Pitties,” a canine manners class designed to address common issues faced by pit bull terriers and their owners
- Member of the Force-Free Trainers of Wisconsin
Ginny is passionate about helping people and their pets enjoy more fulfilling relationships by helping humans learn to understand and communicate more effectively with their dogs. She works to achieve this goal by continuing her education by attending behavior conferences and seminars in addition to keeping current in behavior sciences through research. Ginny keeps her training mechanics sharp by training manners, tricks, cooperative grooming, vet care behaviors, and competitive dog sports.
Ginny holds regular training classes at Waunakee Vet Clinic. If you are interested in learning more or signing your puppy up for Puppy Start Right School give us a call today.